Friday, April 5, 2013

Hello Kitty Cafe

I'm sure this topic has been countlessly blogged about already, but here's my take on this overly hyped-up tourist trap. It's not as glamourous as people make it out to be, but that might be because we went at night... The least they could do was repaint the walls to make it less dirty looking or something.

My roommate and I went to the one located in Sinchon (walking distance from our dorm). At least it didn't have graffiti all over the walls like the Hongdae one.
It is located above a Korean restaurant
The dingy looking entrance...
The menu thing outside
We took forever to decide what to order because everything was cute but ridiculously expensive (but it's kind of like that for all cafes here so I was not the least bit surprised). Be prepared to pay over $10 if you want something to eat and drink. The workers' uniforms also followed the theme, but again most cafes in Korea have workers in cute uniforms so that wasn't very special either.
Upon walking through the door
I was a bit disappointed at the interior because it just looked like someone went out to grab all the Hello Kitty things they could find and threw it in there. Ok, the wall cutout was pretty neat and the decals on the windows were cute, but the chairs and tables just felt a little lacking. I'm not sure how to put it but it gave off a sort of abandoned vibe... as if someone who outgrew their cute furniture just donated it.
Couples were sitting in that very pink room
The "souvenirs" did not attract me at all. They looked like they'd been sitting there for who knows how long and I feel like they should have had a separate section for them, not used as a barrier between the counter and tables.
Toys and other Kitty themes things you could buy 
But who would want to pay $30 for mini plush dolls?
Anyway, we got our drinks (me a cookie & cream 'crunch' and my roommate a green tea latte). Not bad, but nothing to rave about either. I later regretted ordering a cold drink because it was freezing outside and we had to walk back home T^T
Cute enough, and surprisingly the English makes sense
As the name states, it had bits of crunchy stuff inside
Maybe toffee? It wasn't overly sweet and the cream on top
was nice and thick ^^ Yummy~
Before she heartlessly destroyed the face
So I kind of made this place sound really junk... but it's not that I disliked it. The service and drinks were fine and everything was as Hello Kitty as it can get. I just didn't want to glorify it because everyone is always so eager to come here. Personally, I think there are countless other cafes in Korea that are just as cute, if not comfier and more modern looking, than this one. I tagged along for the 'experience' but I think one visit is enough for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment